Paycheck Expense Reimbursement
In order to include an Expense Reimbursement on a paycheck, you can:
- Click Payroll Categories > Deductions (in the Payroll Command Center).
- Click New and set up a deduction called Employee Expense Reimbursement.
- In the Linked Payable Account field, enter the expense account that you want to use. If you need to create a new account to track expense reimbursements, click the Easy-Add button and then enter the appropriate information for that expense. A message will appear informing you that the account for deductions withheld is usually a liability account. Click OK.
- In the Type of Deduction section of the window, select User-Entered Amount per Pay Period.
- Since it’s a reimbursement of actual expenses, select No Limit in the Deduction.
- Click on the Employees button, and put a check mark to the left of the applicable employees' names.
- Click OK.
- When you write the paycheck that includes an expense reimbursement, click to Select and Edit the paycheck in the payroll process.
- On the check, enter the amount of the expense reimbursement as a Positive amount, even though the other deductions will be negative amounts.
Warning: If you are unsure whether the reimbursable expense should be taxed or not taxed, ask your accounting professional.