AccountEdge is able to print 1099 MISC and 1096 information. It doesn't have the ability to print this to plain paper - you need to purchase the form and AccountEdge can print the numbers you've recorded into the appropriate box.
In order for a vendor to show up for a 1099 and 1096 you will need to mark the vendor as a 1099 vendor in the Buying Details tab of the Vendor's Card File. If this selection is not available, it means the Payroll Year hasn't been set. Select Setup > Payroll & 1099 Information to set the Payroll Year for the first time.
1099s are based on the Payroll/Calendar Year (not the Fiscal Year). To verify the current payroll year in your file go to the top menu bar and select Setup > Payroll & 1099 Information. If you don't see the current year listed you will need to go through the Start a New Payroll Year Process. To start a new payroll year go to your top menu bar and select File > Start A New Year > Start a New Payroll Year. You are required to be in the right payroll year to generate your 1099 and 1096.
To prepare your 1099s go to the top menu bar and select Command Centers > Purchases & Payables > Print 1099s and 1096. If the indicated amount in this window is incorrect, verify AccountEdge is in the Payroll Year (Setup > Payroll & 1099 Information) corresponding to the year you wish to report.
Prepare your 1099s
To print your 1099s on pre-printed 1099 forms:
- Go to Purchases module inside of AccountEdge and click on the blue Print 1099s and 1096 button. (Alternatively you can go to the top menu bar and select Command Centers > Purchases & Payables > Print 1099s and 1096.)
- Select the correct year at the upper right corner of the screen (this is based on the payroll year - if you don't see the year you need you may need to Start a New Payroll Year).
- Click OK in the bottom right.
- You'll be presented with a list of your 1099 Vendors - if you need to edit any dollar figures you can do so by clicking on the double-arrow to the left of their name.
- Once you've confirmed the figures you check off the Vendors you want to print 1099s for and click print.
Video on Preparing 1099s
Additional Look at 1099 Features Added in 2015
Software Previous to AccountEdge 2015
Previous to the 2015 software it was still possible to generate reports; however, it was a little more complicated. You can find which payments you paid $600.00 or more to during the year by:
- Go to Reports > Index to Reports
- Click on the Payroll tab
- Scroll down until you see the bold heading "Payments"
- Customize the Vendor Payments report for the appropriate date range.
- Click the "Report Fields" tab.
- Uncheck the address field, leaving only the name and amount fields
- Send this report to Excel
- Optionally, you can delete the blank liness
- Sort on the Amount column to determine vendors with payments that are greater than $600.00