Entering Discounts on Sales
There are two different ways to enter discounts for customers into AccountEdge. Discounts can be entered in when recording an item invoice (on a per line basis) or when Receiving Payment against an invoice (this is a discount for the total invoice).
Item Invoice Discounts
To be able to enter a discount directly on an invoice you need to be creating an item invoice. To do this:
- Click enter Sales
- Choose your Customer at the top of the window
- Click Layout at the bottom of the window and make sure Item is selected
- Enter the line items into the invoice
You can use the percentage column to give percentage discounts on a per line basis.
- The discount field on an invoice, representing a discount on the entered or regular price, has to be manually entered by you. This applies even if you have a special price level for the customer.
- The total field will be the extension of quantity multiplied by the unit cost, and should automatically fill in on the invoice once you've entered the number of units in the shipped column. If you do not enter the number of units, the total field will not fill in.
Discounts When Receiving Payments
No matter what kind of invoice you are creating (item, service, professional, etc) discounts can be applied when receiving payments. To be able to use the discount when receiving payment the invoice you are discounting needs to be FULLY paid off between application of the discount and application of payment. If this will not close the invoice payment will still be received; however, the discount will not be applied to the invoice.
You can also set this Discount field to automatically fill in when a receiving a payment before a certain date using customer terms. Click here for more information on setting up Customer Terms.
To apply discounts when receiving payment:
- Go to Sales > Receive Payments
- Select the Customer
- Put the dollar amount they are paying you in the blue section above
- Enter the discount dollar amount on a per invoice basis
- Enter the amount applied
Below you can see a payment being received for $100.00 dollars and a discount of $1.00 being applied. Since this will not close the invoice, when this payment is recorded the discount will not remain. The invoice will have a balance of $2.55 still due: