Single User Tasks
Only one user should have access to a company file during file maintenance procedures, such as backing up, Verifying, and optimizing the company file. For example, optimizing a company file rearranges its internal structure, so ensure that the file is not being accessed while this process is taking place. Other single-user tasks are part of standard bookkeeping practice. For example, when you print a report, you do not want anybody to change data that will appear in the report while it is being printed.
Single-user file locking prevents all but the first logged-in user from accessing a shared company file—other users cannot even log in. To enable single-user access after starting your AccountEdge, click Single-user access in the Sign-on window.
The tasks that require single-user file locking (single-user tasks) include:
- backing up a company file
- restoring a backup file
- company file verification
- purging data
- exporting data
- importing data
- starting a new fiscal year
- creating, changing, or deleting report batches
- optimizing a company file
- setting up, changing, or removing user accounts
- starting a new payroll year
- loading payroll tax tables
- synchronizing cards and Outlook contacts
- creating, changing, or removing payroll categories
If you believe you have exclusive use of a company file and are unable to perform these tasks, check here for possible causes.