What is Registration
Beginning with AccountEdge 2010 US (2009 Canada) we began to use a registration process for the software that is tied to each individual machine that you want to use the software on. The registration process is a one-time process (per version and machine) that identifies your AccountEdge as a legitimate copy of the software and that you own the software. You are required to purchase a license for each individual machine that you want to use and register the software on.
Each individual version of the software (AccountEdge 2009, 2010, 2016, etc) does require registration. So if you've used AccountEdge 2011 for a few years and then move on to AccountEge 2016 you will have to register the new software at that point.
Registering the Software
To register the software:
- Open the application to the opening "Welcome to AccountEdge" screen
- Click on "Please Register" above "Welcome to AccountEdge"
- Fill out the registration form completely (all fields accept the 2nd Address line are required). TIP:Avoid special characters like the !#$ except for the @ sign in your email address.
- Click Register
- Once the software it successfully registered you will receive the message "Thank You for Registering" and you can close that box.
Deactivating the Software
Before moving to a new machine (throwing out an old computer, changing your hard drive or motherboard) you can deactivate your license so that you can register on your new machine. You can deactivate the software by:
- Open the application to the opening "Welcome to AccountEdge" screen
- Click on where it says your company name above the "Welcome to Account" text
- This will bring up the "Thank you for Registering"
- Click on the "Deactivate License" button
If your computer crashes before you are able to deactivate the software you can contact Customer Care through our support form to have the machine deactivated for you.
Maximum Number of Licenses Error
One of the most common errors that occurs when attempting to register is the error message "Maximum number of licenses installed."
If you have recently upgraded your computer's operating system, or have an entirely new computer, you may receive this error message upon registration:
This error message comes up because the old license was not deactivated or your machine ID has changed.
If you recently upgraded your operating system, you will need to email back or call into our Customer Service to have the machines deactivated. This article will explain why that needs to be done.
If you are not able to deactivate your license you can contact us at 800-322-6962 (Monday-Friday 9 AM - 8 PM Eastern) or email us.
Troubleshooting Registration Issues
Errors Registering on Mac
Most registration issues and errors can be resolved by modifying permissions on a set of folders. AccountEdge is writing license information to these folders and is often prevented by improper privledges.
The folders that need to be modified are:
- ~/Library/Application Support
- /Library/Application Support
This video has step by step instructions on how you can modify these permissions. Alternatively, you can follow the step by step written instructions as listed below.
You can navigate to the following folders and modify the permissions by:
- Open Finder
- Click Go > Go To Folder from menu bar at the very top of the screen
- Enter the different folders listed above (ie: ~/Library/Application Support)
- Click File > Get Info from the menu bar at the top of the screen
- The info window for that folder should open
- If the lock at the bottom right is locked - click on it to unlock the info window (you'll be prompted for your Mac password)
- Under the Sharing & Permissions windows change each user or group so that they have the privledge to Read & Write (click the arrows to change this) - in my example Wintermute is fine I will be changing everyone from "No Access" to "Read & Write"
- Repeat this process for each of the folders above and then attempt to register again
After filling in the registration form and hitting registering sometimes AccountEdge will "spin" (the bottom right corner of the registration window will have a circling arrow). To resolve this you can quit the program and then reopen it.
Errors Registering on Windows
Most Common Error
Most Windows registration issues occur because the user is not logged into the machine as an Administrator. If the registration screen looks correct but after closing the registration screen you receive the message that the program is still in trial mode:
- Right-click on the AccountEdge program and choose to "Run As Administrator"
- Attempt to register the software again
- If this does not work you will need to log in to the machine as the Administrator
Troubleshooting Further Issues
Other Windows registration problems can be caused by the information that is in the registration window or by security software that is running on the machine. You can try to resolve issues that are not resolved by logging in as Administrator by:
- Removing all information from the Registration Window except for the serial number and replacing it with the letter "A" (i.e.: Company Name: A, First Name: A, etc. The only exceptions being the email - put firstname.lastname@example.org, the zip/postal code put 11111 and the phone number put 1111111111).
- Firewall Issues: Allow an exception for AccountEdge in your Firewall or disable the Firewall on your machine temporarily while attempting to register.
- Anti-Virus: Some Anti-Virus software can cause problems while attempting to install or register AccountEdge. Temporarily disable any Anti-Virus software on your machine.
NOTE: Registration Errors Can Include:
Modifying privileges on the folders listed above may resolve some errors.
- An error occurred during registration and the process could not be completed; you need to be the Administrator
- Invalid License File: Your license file is invalid for this machine
- License File Problem: Your license file is invalid for this machine
- AccountEdge Quits When Launching
- AccountEdge appears to have unregistered itself; Reverts back to Trial Mode (Machine ID changed)
- Attempt Registration but Registration Window Left Blank and AccountEdge is still Unregistered
- Attempt Registration — Get Spinning Wheel (Beach Ball)
- Connection Error
- Unable to Access Remote Server
- SSL Connection was reset
- Remote name could not be resolved
- No Machine ID
- Software registers successfully, you close the software and reopen it and it has reverted to trial mode with the same Machine ID still. This is a Shared User Library permissions issue.
- What is AccountEdge Connect (Formerly AccountEdge Cloud)?
- Getting Started With AccountEdge Connect (Formerly AccountEdge Cloud) Using Dropbox
- AccountEdge Connect (Formerly AccountEdge Cloud) Costs
- AccountEdge Connect (Formerly AccountEdge Cloud) - Dropbox Requirements
- Syncing with AccountEdge Connect (Formerly AccountEdge Cloud) and Dropbox
- View all (15 more)