Setting Default Email and Email Account
- Compatible Email Programs
- Setting the Default Email Program
- Setting the Default Email Account (this is the email address that your emails will come from)
AccountEdge sends email to the default email program that you have set up on your machine. There are no email configuration settings inside of AccountEdge as the email program itself handles all configuration and setup.
NOTE: This support note contains instructions for software outside of AccountEdge and is not something that the AccountEdge Support staff can help in setting up.
Compatible Email Programs
To be able to email from AccountEdge you need to have an email client installed on your machine. If you use a webmail service such as Gmail you have to set up an email client to be able to do this.
The clients AccountEdge Pro 2016 or later currently works with is:
- Windows: Microsoft Outlook 2007-2016 (32-bit versions only)
- Mac: Mac Mail, Microsoft Outlook 2011, or the Outlook 365 Update
Setting the Default Email Program
Setting the default email program is done slightly differently depending on the operating system that you are on.
Windows 8 and 10
- Press the Windows key on the keyboard (or click in the search box on the taskbar)
- Type in Default Programs
- You should be taken directly to Default apps where you can click on the + under Email or click on the email program that's there to change it
- Click the Windows Start button and choose Control Panel.
- Click Internet Options
- Click the Programs tab
- Click Set Programs
- Click Set your default programs
- Select your desired default email program
- Click Set this program as default
- Click OK
- Open your Apple Mail software through the dock or through the finder window
- Go to the Mail menu and choose Preferences
- Click the General tab
- Select the desired Default email reader (Mail or Outlook)
Setting the Default Email Account
You set the default email address (which will dictate the email your customers/vendors see email as coming from and will respond to).
Again, like setting the default email program is different by version of Windows, this can be different depending on the mail program and version of that program you are using.
Outlook 2010 - 2016 for Windows
- Open Outlook
- Go to File > Info
- Click on the Account Settings button and choose Account Settings from the drop down menu
- Click on the Email Tab
- Select the email that you want to set as the default and click on the "Set as Default Button"
Earlier Versions of Outlook
Please see your program's documentation for instructions on setting a default email account for earlier versions of Outlook.
Mail for Mac
- Open Mail
- Go to Mail > Preferences from the menu bar at the top of the screen
- Click on Composing
- Under the "Addressing" section select the email address you want to send new message from
Outlook for Mac
- Open Outlook
- Go to Outlook > Preferences from the menu bar at the top of the screen
- Click on Accounts
- Select an account from the list on the left
- Click on the action button (cog wheel) in the bottom left to "Set as Default"