Edit Tax Tables

Bryant

12 Jun, 2010 03:27 AM

I am a one person shop and for the first time I am using the payroll and our taxes for payroll are pretty simple. Is there a way to manually update the tax tables? Nothing has changed except the federal tax in 2010 over 2009 and don't see the need to pay for a tax table download for such a simple change. They don't seem to be editable when I go in to them. If I can't edit them, then I don't understand why they even show me the details??

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Simon on 17 Jun, 2010 05:46 PM

Bryant, there is no way to edit the Tax Tables in the field.

If support isn't interesting to you. you can subscribe to the Tax Table update service only. Check http://www.accountedge.com/payroll/

2. 2 Posted by Bryant on 24 Jul, 2010 01:08 AM

You mean the $249 option? This would change only one entry in my program. That is about what I pay my accountant now to just do it for me. Even if I was to go for it, why would I just pay $49 more for support?

Payroll update should be about $39 at the most, but maybe I am missing the value or what you are charging for it.

3. 3 Posted by Michael Mulvey on 01 Sep, 2011 04:24 PM

I posted the comment below on another thread but charging ANYTHING as Simon suggests is out of line.
    We can do better with other software from other companies.

"I have been using AccountEdge for the past 5 years and the previous product MYOB for more than 15 years. I run a one employee business and do my own payroll because of that. I find it absurd that AccountEdge will not give me free updated Tax Tables because I do not use you other services! I will not update my software when it needs a newer version and have told my CPA to strongly advise his clients from using Accountedge."

4. 4 Posted by keith w. on 12 Feb, 2012 03:42 AM

I ONLY HAVE A COUPLE OF EMPLOYEES AND HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ABLE TO EDIT THE TAX TABLES ON PREVIOUS PROGRAMS I USED. I CAN PURCHASE COMPLETE PROGRAM CHEAPER THAN GETTING TABLES UPDATED. I HAVE MADE MY ON TABLES TO USE IN MY PAYROLL. AFTER MAKING THE FIRST SET IT IS SIMPLE TO EDIT ANY CHANGES. ACCOUNTEDGE IS BASICCALLY TRYING TO GET COST OF NEW SYSTEM EVERY YEAR TO UPDATE TABLES, NOT WHAT I WOULD CONSIDER THE BEST WAY TO BUILD LOYAL CUSTOMERS.

5. 5 Posted by Jibcam on 12 Feb, 2012 03:51 PM

I just did what most other users of AccountEdge did when they found out about the lack
    of support for small business owners with minimal payroll needs. I move to
    Quickbooks Pro.

6. 6 Posted by Dan R on 12 Feb, 2012 05:46 PM

Doesn't QuickBooks require a subscription (at least $239 a year) to even access the payroll portion of the software? How is that better when you would need to have or buy the QuickBooks program on top of that. It appears to me that if Acclivity wanted to make its product more like Intuit & other companies products they would need to remove any payroll functionality from the software until you pay the subscription.

7. 7 Posted by srhcpa on 12 Feb, 2012 06:58 PM

If you use the Intuit payroll product (web based) you will still pay $39/month. This is just a cost of doing business. In AE I believe you have the ability to change the amounts when you are cutting the checks.

As a CPA I advise my clients to stay away from QB products. AE is far superior!

8. 8 Posted by keith w on 12 Feb, 2012 10:42 PM

I USED PEACHTREE FIRST ACCOUNTING UNTIL I BOUGHT A MAC COMPUTER. PEACHTREE ALLOWED CHANGING TAX TABLES EASILY. PEACHTREE WAS BY FAR BETTER THAN QUICKBOOKS OR ACCOUNTEDGE, BUT DOES NOT HAVE MAC VERSION. ALMOST WORTH MY INSTALLING WINDOWS ON MY MAC, ALSO COULD RUN PEACHTREE ON MY LAPTOP AND DESKTOP WITHOUT PURCHASING ANOTHER LICENSE

9. 9 Posted by s.alary on 09 Nov, 2012 02:46 AM

Same here, I won't pay for a Tax Table that contain information the authorities give for free... I'm using version 10 and I payed to update to version 12 and guest what !!! My Tax Table is still 2010 ???? They told me that I have to pay for the Tax Table witch is more than the upgrade ???? I complained and got reimburse, now a have to find another accounting software....

10. 10 Posted by jeanne on 05 Feb, 2013 03:42 AM

Very disappointed in this!!! I agree -- I am now very regretful to be using AccountEdge. I thought I really loved it for many reasons, but the fact that I can't edit my own tax tables seems to really be a sham. I can see the information right in front of me from the government. What am I to do now? This is super annoying...

11. 11 Posted by Jibcam on 05 Feb, 2013 12:43 PM

Jeanne I switched to Quickbooks forr Mac last year after using AccountEdge for 10+ years.

Never looked back.

12. 12 Posted by jeanne on 05 Feb, 2013 02:34 PM

Jibcam, are you able to change the tax tables there? How versatile are the reporting features?

I'm really upset because I just got everything the way I want them and was getting really good at using and understanding the limitations and possibilities of the many features. I am not about to pay $200+ annually just to get tax rates correct. This is kind of infuriating.

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by AccountEdge Sup... on 05 Feb, 2013 02:43 PM

Jeanne:

If you do not want to enroll in one of our payroll tax service plans, you do have the ability of over riding the amounts that are being withheld on the payroll checks. This would just need to be manually done for each employee on each payroll.

14. 14 Posted by jeanne on 05 Feb, 2013 02:52 PM

Jamie, I think it's kind of misleading and crazy to not make it more prominent in marketing materials that this "support" package is essential for such a small yet crucial feature. It really feels like a bait and switch. I had been considering upgrading out of my own accord just because I like the software and like updates, but now, I feel like I'm being trapped and if upgrading will just continue a cycle of having to pay for accounting software every year, then, I would seriously consider a different program.

15. Support Staff 15 Posted by AccountEdge Sup... on 05 Feb, 2013 02:58 PM

Jeanne:

I think there might be some confusion with how our payroll tax service plans work. When you're enrolled in the plan, you receive the new program each year. If you would like to call us (800-322-6962) to discuss how our plan works, I think this might work best. Sometimes trying to explain and understand via text is not the best way.

16. 16 Posted by jeanne on 05 Feb, 2013 03:14 PM

Hi, Jamie--I think I understand the difference: I was just speaking of both upgrading software and extolling in the payroll plan (in order to get updated tax tables since I believe we are unable to change them ourselves).

17. 17 Posted by KEITH on 05 Feb, 2013 03:18 PM

I JUST ADDED ANOTHER DEDUCTION SCHEDUAL USING CORRECT CALCULATION AND DESELECTED EXISTING INCORRECT SCHEDUAL, WORKS FINE EXCEPT HAVE TO MANUALLY FILL OUT TAX REPORTS FOR GOV

18. 18 Posted by Jeff on 19 Feb, 2013 04:16 PM

I just want to add my ditto to the protest of requiring such fees and subscriptions simply to update things like SS withholding rate. This really seems to be inconstant with the completeness and flexibility of AccountEdge, a program we have recommended to others. This feature really does slight small businesses like ours — businesses that purchase such software in the first place to help save on accounting costs. Very disappointed that the software is crippled like this to force service subscriptions.

19. 19 Posted by jeanne on 20 Feb, 2013 02:16 AM

AGREED!!!

20. 20 Posted by s.alary on 20 Feb, 2013 02:30 AM

Same for me, I am the only employee in the company and I am not willing to pay $ 240 + each year to receive numbers that are already available for free on the government website ....

21. 21 Posted by Jeff on 20 Feb, 2013 03:56 PM

Not trying to fan the flame, but in case it saves anyone some trouble:
    Upgrading to the current version also does not give you current tax tables. Your books still remain crippled to the last tax table you were able to load BEFORE the upgrade. I know that doesn't make sense to get a professional accounting program called "AccountEdgePro 2013" that can't track SS withholding in the year 2013. I want to support Acclivity in their work, but this all seems a little inconsistent with several of their "10 core values" listed on their home page. Please consider different strategies on this issue.

Thanks.

22. 22 Posted by bruce on 01 Mar, 2013 11:54 PM

I've been on this bandwagon for a long time. There have been many discussions here regarding the cost of tax tables for small businesses. None of us one person companies can justify $249 just to change 4.2% to 6.2%. It's ludicrous! AccountEdge is supposed to be software for small business. Nothing is further from the truth. Acclivity tries to soften the $249 blow for tax tables by including upgrades to the program. Problem with that is there's nothing compelling about new versions of the program. I went from AE 2007 to AE 2012 and said "so what" to myself. Here's a solution I plan to try; I will pay myself once a month instead of once a week. I will manually enter the tax figures on each payday. I manually fill in the 941, so when I do that I will be sure check the figures so they are correct should they differ from what AE shows me on its 941.

I will be hard pressed to ever buy another upgrade to AE, and I will only do that when it allows me to manually enter payroll tax figures.

23. 23 Posted by jeanne on 06 Mar, 2013 07:40 PM

Does anyone know of another software program that allows you to change the tax tables without subscribing and that will still calculate withholding and reports automatically for you, thereafter?

24. 24 Posted by SavvyInc on 09 Sep, 2013 02:10 AM

I have been looking at replacing my accounting software (I bought One-Write Plus for a windows 98 machine ages ago) and this thread has convinced me that I want nothing to do with this company. I had actually been searching this site, trying to find out exactly this, if I could maintain the tax tables myself. Nowhere in the sales literature could I find the answer. It seems they would rather I not find out until after they have my money.

I guess I need to keep looking, until I can find a vendor that has some respect for their customers.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac