Import Sales using csv file

's Avatar

anonymous

15 Apr, 2010 09:25 PM

Can anyone please help clarify how to get it right. I tried to import sales invoices from excel csv file. MYOB seems to import them but put all sales transactions (from different client name, invoice number etc) into just one invoice using the first card as its only client. THe total amount is all corect, but it is assigne to only the first card?Is there anything that I missed in setting up or a bug that we need to get around it? Your input is much appreciated

1. 1 Posted by anonymous on 15 Apr, 2010 09:25 PM

Importing into MYOB is somewhat limited and can be tricky. The program is very strict on the formating of data.

The best way to get the hang of importing is to export similar data from MYOB first. Look at that file and make sure your import data is laid out EXACTLY the same way. You also will need to Save As in the right format so the line feeds are correct too (probably how you got all your data on one invoice). I'm sorry I don't remember what that is from Excel but you may want to try text (tab delimitated).

It can be a good idea to work through this first on a copy of your books. Once you have it working right - trash the test books and proceed with your real one (or restore a back-up) That way if the import tests bring in the data the wrong way as you are refining it you don't have to weed through the books deleting/correcting the bad imports.

<!--graemlin::)-->
    Dan

2. 2 Posted by anonymous on 15 Apr, 2010 09:25 PM

THanks Dan. I tried using with Tab delimiters, and did exactly what you recommended. I export initially and using the exact data fields I added 3 new 'test records'. WHen I tried importing (using tab delimiters) I got 'error' message mentioning -25 error code = Invalid amount and no records were imported.So tried to put the same exact amount with the ones I exported, it gave same error message. I back tracked again. Export the record, then re imported without any changes, it kept saying same error message. It seemed that I can export, but if I tried reimporting the same data, it wouldnt read the data I exported (even if I had made it with different invoice number)

Strange. If I used the csv format,it read all record but put them in one invoice. If I used tab delimiters, it gave me the above results.
    ANything I have missed here?

Again, appreciate your assistance here.

3. 3 Posted by anonymous on 15 Apr, 2010 09:25 PM

Sorry that the Tab suggestion was wrong. I use importing and exporting so rarely I don't remember how I've made it to work.

A general problem can be that Excel has a habit of auto formatting cells (date, number, text) which can change the raw #'s in the saved file. i.e type in a date 10/24/07 it will probably expand it to 10/24/2007 if you then change the cell format to text you get 39379 (?)
    If Excel does any of this to the export/import data it will throw off the process.

For you to get all the transactions on one invoice I would guess it did not have the right line feeds triggering a new chuck of data or Excel messed with something to throw off MYOB.
    You might poke around the files and compare a fresh export with the others in Text Edit / Note Pad.

Good Luck
    <!--graemlin::)-->
    Dan

4. 4 Posted by anonymous on 15 Apr, 2010 09:25 PM

Thanks Dan. I'll try poking around and see if I can get it to work.

Cheers,

5. 5 Posted by Crystal on 17 Mar, 2011 05:04 PM

any solutions to this?
    I have the same issue and it's really frustrating.

I even exported sales from AccountEdge, then just changed invoice id's and reimported them as if they were new sales. It still comes up with errors!

6. 6 Posted by Andrew Wallis on 19 Jun, 2011 03:18 AM

MYOB groups the data together for each invoice so you can have multiple lines on one invoice.

Put a blank line between groups. If you only have 1 line for your invoice, every second line will be a blank line.

7. 7 Posted by Simon Edwards on 16 Sep, 2011 11:11 PM

Hi all,

I've messed with this problem too, in the end, I found that the TAB delimted file wouldn't upload with " symbols in them. These would appear when there was a comma in the pricing for example, or in the description. So I would sort my data out in Excel, save as TAB delimted, and then in Notepad, find and remove (replace with nothing) all double quotes.

A pain, but none-the-less, this process will save me a large amount of time.

8. 8 Posted by Walt Johnson on 17 Sep, 2011 04:30 AM

Off the subject...I am trying to access MYOB (Acount Edge) on my new computer, and it is asking for a password that is NOT the one I use daily on my old computer to access it...any suggestions? When calling support, they say it is $75 to get that password!

9. 9 Posted by Justin Sanderso... on 09 Nov, 2011 03:58 PM

As posted by Andrew, you definitely need to put a space in between each line on your CSV file. Think of each line break as the start of a new invoice. When you have multiple items on an invoice, then you'll have multiple lines with the same invoice number, just different items on each line, with no breaks in between. The best way to get the proper format is to do an export of some invoices currently in your system and see exactly what comes out.

10. 10 Posted by Thomas Adamson on 15 Nov, 2011 09:53 AM

You could try out TransPost.

I can create a savable map any CSV file and import the data to MYOB fields. It can also be set up to import automatically.

www.transpost.com.au

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac